Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 18:33   #1
lindy
Guerrilla Chief
 
lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ft Benning
Posts: 707
US warns of terrorist threat in Azerbaijan

From Fox:

WASHINGTON – The State Department is warning Americans of a terrorist threat to Western targets in Azerbaijan and urging U.S. citizens to be vigilant in the oil-rich former Soviet republic on the Caspian Sea.

In a security alert issued Saturday, the U.S. Embassy in Baku said there was a "potential for attacks in Azerbaijan, including against American interests." It said the warning was "based on terrorist threat information." It added that that U.S. citizens in Azerbaijan "should remain vigilant, particularly in public places associated with the Western community."

The alert did not elaborate on the nature of the threat or who might be behind it.

Warden msg From State Dept Web:

Embassy Baku Security Alert

The State Department, based on terrorist threat information, alerts U.S. citizens of the potential for attacks in Azerbaijan, including against American interests. U.S. citizens in Azerbaijan should remain vigilant, particularly in public places associated with the Western community. In addition, U.S. citizens should remain aware of their surroundings, be vigilant about their personal security, maintain an unpredictable daily schedule, and vary the routes used to travel to and from their places of work and residence.
__________________
"I see that you notice that I wear glasses. Well, it was to be. I've not only grown old and gray, I've become almost blind in the service of my country." - General George Washington

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 23:56   #2
wet dog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I enjoyed Baku when I was there in 2003.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25   #3
lindy
Guerrilla Chief
 
lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ft Benning
Posts: 707
Wetdog,

I was there just after you and again for a short time in 2009. It's a good place to raise teenagers.

The BTC money sure changed things. You wouldn't even recognize the downtown area or the waterfront.

They even paved, yes, PAVED the major highways heading West as well as the main North-South highway. Russian cars (Lada and Zhiguli) are no longer the norm: BMWs and Mercedes are everywhere now.

Lindy
__________________
"I see that you notice that I wear glasses. Well, it was to be. I've not only grown old and gray, I've become almost blind in the service of my country." - General George Washington

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24   #4
lindy
Guerrilla Chief
 
lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ft Benning
Posts: 707
Seven Azerbaijani soldiers were killed

Something is up with Azeri soldiers as this is the second incident such incident. I doubt this is "dedovshina" since the dead are younger (draftees themselves).


Seven Azerbaijani soldiers were killed at an unnamed military unit yesterday.

http://www.news.az/articles/society/31718


A criminal case has been opened for the "Premeditated murder of two or more people" under Azerbaijani Criminal Code Article 120.2.7, the Defence Ministry press service reported.

Investigators from the Defence Ministry and Military Prosecutor's Office are at the scene.

The incident took place at 09.40 (05.40 GMT) on Sunday, the ministry said, but did not disclose the location.

Unconfirmed reports say that a soldier went on the rampage in a unit in Goy Gol District in western Azerbaijan.

The Defence Ministry has named the dead, who were all young conscripts from different parts of the country, as Naib Fakhraddin oglu Guliyev (born in 1992 and called up from Beylagan in April 2010), Javid Vakil oglu Javadzada (born in 1991, called up from Mingachavir in January 2010), Nurlan Radfel oglu Suanverdiyev (born in 1991, called up from Agdam in April 2010), Ramazan Abdulla oglu Khojberov (born in 1992, called up from Balakan in April 2010), Afgan Yashar oglu Karimov (born in 1991, called up from Balakan in October 2009), Ahmad Ahmadali oglu Huseynov (born in 1992, called up from Agjabadi in January 2010) and Zakir Etibar oglu Guliyev (born in 1991, called up from Baku's Yasamal in January 2010).

The last report of multiple killings in the Azerbaijani army came in January 2010 when four officers were killed by two soldiers at a military unit in Dashkasan District.

An Azerbaijani soldier was killed recently by a fellow conscript at a unit in Nakhchivan. The Defence Ministry said on 3 February that the death was the result of careless handling of a weapon.
__________________
"I see that you notice that I wear glasses. Well, it was to be. I've not only grown old and gray, I've become almost blind in the service of my country." - General George Washington

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:11.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies