Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 18:01   #16
Odd Job
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London (ex SA)
Posts: 107
This is a nice summary in an accessible format:

http://www.surgicalcriticalcare.net/...ravel_2009.pdf

There was quite an interesting case to do with plain film vs CT in the radiological detection of a pneumothorax that I was involved with back in 1999. If I can find those images in my collection I might post them if it is deemed worthwhile.
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 18:15   #17
Red Flag 1
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
This is a nice summary in an accessible format:

http://www.surgicalcriticalcare.net/...ravel_2009.pdf

There was quite an interesting case to do with plain film vs CT in the radiological detection of a pneumothorax that I was involved with back in 1999. If I can find those images in my collection I might post them if it is deemed worthwhile.
Good article.

Would like to see the CT vs CXR films.

Thanks Odd Job!!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 20:25   #18
Trojan19
Asset
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 0
Got the Bio filled out right this time, didn't notice the save button all the way to the right. Whoops.

Anyways, I've read and reread this thread many times along with countless other documents dealing with SP and the Air Force. I talked with an Air Force Chief today and I was told a CT scan with fine cuts may change the mind of the SG, but nothing is guaranteed (without insurance I obviously can't afford $1000+ for CT scans). He never mentioned if I could still be admitted to the flight program as non-prior service with this prior condition.

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been covered, or that are separate from transporting SP patients. I've just had a hard time getting solid answers on whether or not it's even possible for me to serve in a flight job given this prior injury.

Thanks again.
Trojan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 20:53   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan19 View Post
Got the Bio filled out right this time, didn't notice the save button all the way to the right. Whoops.

Anyways, I've read and reread this thread many times along with countless other documents dealing with SP and the Air Force. I talked with an Air Force Chief today and I was told a CT scan with fine cuts may change the mind of the SG, but nothing is guaranteed (without insurance I obviously can't afford $1000+ for CT scans). He never mentioned if I could still be admitted to the flight program as non-prior service with this prior condition.

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been covered, or that are separate from transporting SP patients. I've just had a hard time getting solid answers on whether or not it's even possible for me to serve in a flight job given this prior injury.

Thanks again.
You should probably find an AF site and ask there.

This is an Army SF website.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:36   #20
Red Flag 1
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,952
Trojan19,

Thanks for the bio. As TR has pointed out, you would likely get closer to a solid answer by dealing direct with the USAF.

Since you are aiming at an aerospace field, I would suggest hooking up with a flight surgeon. You live in Sacramento, and I would suggest giving a call to Flight Medicine at Travis AFB. You probably do not need to talk with a flight surgeon persay; senior NCO's will have the answers to your questions. These are the folks that do flight physicals. My clearances after SP came from the flight surgeons at Brooks AFB, San Antonio, TX. Since you are seeking to join, there may be a way to get the CT's, if needed, at Travis AFB; if you play your cards right.

If you need help hooking up, shoot me a pm.

Best of luck!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:05   #21
Odd Job
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London (ex SA)
Posts: 107
Red Flag, I found the images. This was a 32 year old male stabbed in the chest, right side antero-laterally. He was stable, no big deal, here is his first CXR (supine):

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...upinesmall.jpg

There was no obvious pneumothorax but we suspected it because of the subcutaneous emphysema you see there on the right. I can't remember what they made of the right middle and lower lobe, just that they didn't like the look of it and were thinking should we put ICD now or wait a bit? Next shot was erect:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Erectsmall.jpg

Still nothing obvious. No pneumo edge. Some 10cm CT cuts showed the pneumo nicely:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...estCTsmall.jpg

Because it was mainly anterior there was reduced chance to define the pneumo in this case where the standard X-rays are 90 degrees to the coronal plane. Based on the CT they decided to err on the side of caution and place an ICD.

A historical note: this was Joburg in the late 90s. We had one single slice spiral CT scanner and a heavy workload. It wasn't like the UK and US where you could afford to just scan a guy as a matter of course. With 16,000 adult trauma patients annually, they had to have very strong indications and ambivalent clinical assessments before getting a scan.
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies