OK, I'm back on station and will reply over the next few days. As to the rank question, can you say BUSTED !!! This organization was made up of THE most (current term) Think Outside of The BOX bunch of people that you could imagine. We had fun, sometimes it was at the expense of others and some were not crafty enough to not get CAUGHT !!! This sounds weird, but when we were in the "Rear" and were in a subdued sensual condition, the best of the Jungle Runners could Fuck Up !!! Be in the wrong place..........
I escaped a few of these near catastrophies and will follow with said tales at a later date.
As for the SF Course, read Tom Clancy's book on Special Forces. Not Fiction. What he describes today is exactly what I went through. As I understand it today, Weapons guys specialize in Light or Heavy. We had to Qual on both to include working the Air Side !!
30 rd mags, they were there when I got there in 1970. I do not know when they first arrived. I personally did not like them because we did not have the gear to carry them correctly and they were a hassle in deep jungle opns. They did snag and made it difficult to present the weapon quick enough to be able to be here today to talk about it !!!
Length of tour was an open ended thing. First you had to volunteer to do it, then be accepted, then pass the 1-0 School that would clear you for X-Border Opns. Many of us received "extentions" to stay and do our thing. Several ran for numerous tours (12 month).
That's it for now, will attempt to respond to the rest in this thread.
As a somewhat small note to the true nature of this site, MACVSOG received The Presidential Unit Citation for Valor on April 4, 2001 some 30+ years after the fact!
Quiet Professionals !!!
Later.
Martin