Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08   #16
BravoAlpha
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatlis View Post
Are you guys suggesting I hike the AT in winter or more generally when the weather is warmer? The Southwest is looking better to me right now for the snow reasons. Warmer weather and beautiful scenery. Should be safe if I confine myself to day trips. Less technical compared to hiking through snow and searching for buried paths.... Is this correct? I'm not shying away from a good workout and I do think snow is beautiful, but I will be on my own with possibly no cellphone signal if I lose my way.
Aside from the challenges and associated risk of hiking the AT in dead winter, you're not going to experience much of the scenery that you'd find in, say, the spring time. My personal opinion is that even day hikes on the AT would be a little boring. Plus, there's not the dramatic elevation change that you'll find in the SW.

If I were planning your trip, I'd stick to Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park with several 3-5 day hikes. Throw in a 2-day Mt. Whitney summit, and some additional High Sierra routes and you've got the makings of a good challenge. You'll still need crampons/ice axe, and highly reliable cooking/H2O filtering equipment though. Dec in the High Sierras can provide some very spontaneous weather.

While most of the trails will be covered in snow, nearly all of them in the Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks are pretty hard to wonder off of. They are very well maintained and the backcountry is thoroughly patrolled even in winter.
__________________
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
BravoAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:24   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,837
I think he was looking to ruck and get into shape, not mountain climb.

I would not be engaging in a lot of physically risky activity just prior to an SFAS date.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies