View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 18:43   #25
Jimbo
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
You don't think the leadership is sophisticated enough to plan the attack on the date? And they aren't sophisticated enough to know to make it significant to the intended audience?

IMO, the thing about terrorism is its intended to illicit a psychological response - an emotion. Therefore, dates and such become much more important, as they add impact, making the emotion stronger. I don't think they would do it because the number of days is significant to them, but rather to the audience.

And I don't think its supernatural capabilitites - just good management and advertising. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to say "Well, everybody's ranting about 9/11, so in 911 days, lets do something else."

If it was a coincidence, it was a good one for them.

I'm not sharpshooting you.
While I agree with what you are saying, I think that contemporary terrorism is less dependent on dates. The act itself becomes the date. Before media was as focused as it is on terrorist violence, they had to combine actions with a date. So reporters would say, "on this 3rd anniversary of the defeat of People's Front's campaign to topple the government, 15 people died as ..." Now, with mass-casualty terrorism, the event becomes the reason to remember the date. " Today is the 6 month, 1 year, 2 year, 5 year anniversary of Sept.. 11th, the Madrid Bombings, Omagh bombings, the Ashura massacre." I think if they could, terrorists would attack every day. Fill up the calendar with reminders of their ability to strike anywhere anytime.

I can really tell you that they don't think about date crap. Really.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote