Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
LOL You on a budget??? I can't help but laugh at that one Sir. Judging from all the personally owned gun, knife, and equipment pictures you have graced us with online, I would have to say using the term budget just doesn't seem to do you justice. I think you should refer to your situation as more of an "unlimited personal spending stipend". You must have decided that you didn't want a fancy camera...
|
Doc (I use that term loosely):
I am in my mid-40s, and was single until I was in my mid-30s. I spent my money back then on gear, not ex-wife support payments. Most of my hardware is pre-ban/marriage.
I have several high end 35mm Nikon SLRs that I used to use professionally, and a couple of point and shoot 35mms for handy family use. I decided to try digital without wasting a lot of money, and got the equivalent of a point and shoot. The extra $200 for a 3-4 MP camera would have been would have been the equivalent of 150 rounds of .50 BMG or 1000 rounds of 5.56mm ammo. Priorities.
My next digicam will be higher end, but still not the equivalent of an SLR. Too inconvenient and bulky, not likely to be handy for anything but studio shooting. I plan to stick with the point and shoots.
I do a lot of research before I make an investment in gear, and hopefully choose right. If I buy every two or three years, I expect that I can buy a camera with twice the features for roughly the same price.
"unlimited personal spending stipend"? Hardly. I am a soldier with a family to support. When it comes to gear, I research, shop around, save, and buy the best that I can afford that meets my needs. My life can depend on it.
BTW, I really appreciate mm, eggroll and all of the other guys who runs T&E sites and report on their experiences. It saves me a lot of time and money if I can eliminate a number of the candidates right off the bat. Good show, guys!
TR