View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 16:03   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional
 
NousDefionsDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: LA
Posts: 1,653
The social contract. You give up some of your individual rights for the greater good. Such as the right to settle your conflicts as you see fit, right of the strongest, etc.

I agree anarchy is not good for the average man nor is it good for society. In fact, to me this is the very concept of having a society in the first place.

However, it is an idea, not a reality, for some folks and in some places.

"It is useless for sheep to pass a resolution in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion."
-- William Randolph Inge

I didn't sign the social contract. Every conflict I am involved in has the potential to escalate to violence. If I chose not to do so, then it was because I shose, not because of the social contract. Remember the Standard 7th Group response?

In you scenario involving TR, at the end of the day, you will either continue to give him your whiskey or you will choose another course of action. But it will be your choice.

TR doesn't sleep. Not soundly enough for you to gain an advantage anyway.
__________________
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote