Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
I don't think the majority of the people voting in this country do think.
I think that they vote for whoever the Union, preacher, organizer, barber, agitator, or the man who drives them to the polls in the bus tells them to.
|
I just had one of my best friends move in with me this past week. We never discussed politics before. He has mentioned that he wants Kerry to win the election.
Me: "Kerry? Why?"
Matt: "Because he is a decorated war veteran."
Me: "Ok, that is a start. What else."
Matt: "Bush never went to Vietnam and Kerry did."
Me: "But why is Kerry a better leader for the U.S?"
Matt: "Bush got us into a war. Where are the WMD?"
Now Matt is a great guy and at 34, is more interested in the sports we play than he is in politics, to be sure. When I was off at college he was in the Navy Reserves (Seabees) and works in a machine shop. I have had an opportunity to learn a little more about things than he has. I certainly don't think I am better than he is because I am a little more aware than Matt. The kid is not dumb, just has specific interests.
The last conversation we had was about an answer to his question: "What is a liberal?"
I guess my point is that many people are misinformed, or even worse, uninformed. They are lethargic and apathetic when it comes to choosing a candidate, much less educating themselves on the issues that affect our future.
To Matt, they have very little to do woth his paycheck, his rent, car payment, and this past weekends' football tournament. I think many people are like that.
I hope Bush does win. There was no democrat that I felt could do a better job. But I am not convinced that he will be a sure bet in November. My friend Matt is not a voter and is more apolitical than anything else. But people out there who do follow politics get there information from one or two sources. And those sources tend to be more anti-Bush/Kerry apologists.
I think it will be closer than I would want it to be. They will not underestimate Bush again.
Bush-Cheney/2004.