View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 01:11   #7
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief
 
Radar Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 800
I saw the Games from a different perspective - I watched most of the events on Korean TV. They had four networks with more or less around the clock coverage, focusing on the Korean athletes (imagine that!). Sidebar: I am a somewhat proficient Korean Linguist, so the commentary was no problem. At any rate, I got to see a lot of the "minor" or lesser covered events. They thoroughly covered archery, shooting, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, weight lifting, table tennis and team handball. I had no idea that team handball could be so exciting; the South Korean women's team played for the Gold. When they lost in overtime in a shootout, I was nearly as dissapointed as my Korean born wife. The weightlifting was cool, especially the women. No, not that they were hot or anything, but just to see them (very) large gals lift. The Koreans actually did pretty good in these games, and will continue to improve. As for the gymnastics controversy: It was heavily covered (of course). But even locally, there was more anger directed to the stupid judges then there was to Paul Hamm (little to none, actually).

I think that Greece did a great job hosting, even considering the amount of outside help. But why should "outside help" matter; it IS an international event, isn't it?

China will play nice for the next four years. After 2008, though, all bets are off.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote