My 2 cents - I don't like Rumsfield, but he's competent and gets the job done. He also strikes me as a smart ass. I'l take a competent smart ass over a do nothing yes-man any day. He's not there to be liked. He's there to do a job.
Quote:
The Army is understrength and inadequately resourced for the present mission.
2) I would go the opposite track, and said that the key to post conflict success in Iraq would have been MORE SOF.
I would have preferred to have seen us raise a resistance movement (or two) with our hand picked leaders in charge, legitimize them (like we did Karzai and DeGaulle), and provide sufficient conventional force to support a popular uprising. We could have done this pretty easily in 1991, and much less painfully.
Having said that, despite Franks' best efforts, there was insufficient to marginal forces on the ground for the Plan, piss poor log support, and criminally inadequate resources for the post-conflict desired endstate.
|
I've been wondering why this wasn't done. I never gave a thought to the conventional Army getting scarred that someone was taking over their turf.