View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 14:36   #17
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere
 
Roguish Lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland (at last)
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Moroney
Now this is getting personal. I don't think anyone here can answer that question about anyone but themselves and the pleasant or not so pleasant experiences that they have had with others. I must admit, however, that your inference that those of us that might just be motivated by "duty, honor, and country" really do not exist and have separate agendas surprises me and would like to know what shaped your perception. Not so much because you might think I am offended about what you think about me, you see I really don't give a damn. Never gave a rats ass about what anyone thought about me. So would you like me to draw inferences of what I think motivates members of the legal profession? As the likely hood of my strolling along the halls of justice in your wing tips are just about equal to the likely hood of your slogging through the hinterlands in my combat boots neither of us would be qualified to make judgements about what makes the members of the other profession tick. We both have lowlifes in our professions and not only cream rises to the top-turds also float. While I cannot talk to your contemporaries I can talk to mine and I can assure you that in my case those folks that worked for me that consistently failed to meet the exceptionally low standards that they set for themselves are now doing something else. Can I say that is true about everyone, no I can't and I have been overruled in some cases because I stepped in someones toes, but then I never could dance and really wasn't interested in learning.

Jack Moroney
Please accept my apologies; I believe I am being misunderstood.

I did not say that there are no officers who are motivated solely by duty, honor and country. I would hope that all are. I was suggesting only that there are other considerations that may motivate behavior, including the desire for personal "achievement." I also speculated that officers who make waves by always doing what they think is right may be at a disadvantage relative to those who punch tickets and follow the party line. This speculation is based entirely on what I have read, and I was looking to people like you and TR for your views on the subject. I certainly do not claim to know anything about the military.

I'll back out of this discussion now. Again, I meant no disrespect.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote