Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Alright... I downloaded and installed this SP2 thing.
Question... I use xp home. I have always left the xp firewall and my mcafee firewall running together.
I have always assumed that it might give me higher protection having both running and I never noticed a slowdown or glitch in the past. Am i right to assume better protection if running both?
Now that I have installed this new patch, it says I should only run one. I currently stil have both active. Should I turn one off or proceed as is until I run into a problem. Wait, there is a catch. What types of errors or whatnot should I be looking for as far as problems that would relate to having both running concurrently? I am such a rookie computer nerd that I wouldn't know what to attribute to the firewalls verses other internet mixups.
|
It doesn't give you more protection unless either one sucks, in which case you should opt for the better one. You'll be the judge on that, it's hopefully not much of a difference.
I recommend only using one firewall at a time, they work on the same connection.
As I'm not familiar with exactly how the MS firewall handles traffic and have not read about the issues related, I can't state what will go wrong from running two at once.
There are many possibilities (access violations, added latency because of duplication of work, etc) and the only thing necessary to know is that you don't need two anyway.
Looky here, 60 posts!
Martin
PS. Oh, and I outnerd all of ya, hahahah!

DS.