View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:45   #15
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief
 
swatsurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 880
IMHO, the issue/problem with electronic medical records (jump drive, smart card, etc) is they are only useful when you arrive at a facility that can read it on a computer. Statistics would show that the major intervention in the field for severe trauma is what sets the stage for ultimate success or failure (yeah, I know, a lot of variables go into that statement....time, distance, level of care, etc) but having a readily accessible medical info "card" that can be read in the field could be the difference between life and death.
An example, read this..... http://www.tacticalmedicine.com/files/TWMay09.pdf

Now the field issue for the above article I wrote was less important because of proximity to the trauma center, but put yourself in the sandbox, in the rural areas or wilderness where travel /transport times are extended and I would rather have the medical information available to the field medics/docs AS WELL AS the hospital personnel. I think having both would be the best of all worlds: complete medical history for the facility (jump drive , etc) and a brief history that includes meds, allergies, major medical problems, emergency contact info and primary doc (laminated card). I would be happy to post what I use with local law enforcement...every SWAT member and eventually the entire dept. will have a laminated card on them with this info....we have areas that are extremely remote so the USB idea won't be optimal.

ss
__________________
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote