View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 16:56   #8
amatlis
SF Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Posts: 42
Yes in Winter. I have from Dec 12 - Jan 12 before I ship. I live in Arlington, VA, so I could always start here and head south. I like your suggestion on touring the battlefields. I just started reading Newt Gingrich's book "Gettysburg: A novel of the Civil War". If it snows, though, it might be a little tricky. That's why I originally thought about the Southwest. Then again, we haven't had much snow up here in recent Winters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
In the winter?

Start at the southern end and see how far you can get. Alternatively, move south with the weather and start several hundred miles up the trail and see if you can make it to the end in Georgia. Twenty miles per day should be a decent smoker, maybe one day off or short per week.

It is close enough to civilization that people mail themselves resupply drops and pick them up at the local POs as they are passing through.

I doubt that you would get too far into Virginia before hitting serious snow. You could pick it up near Frederick or Front Royal. Might make a nice slow tour of War of Northern Aggression Valley Campaign battlefields.

TR
amatlis is offline   Reply With Quote