View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 23:06   #13
SF0
Guerrilla
 
SF0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NM
Posts: 207
I was usually at around 95 push ups on my APFT's. I don't remember doing anything very special to get there. Bench pressing heavier weights and push up pyramids were my general regime. With pyramids, I would do 20 down, 20 up with no more than 30 seconds between sets. Tried to vary between regular, diamond, and wide as well. With diamonds, I also liked to do a few sets of 5 counts (5 seconds down, 5 seconds up).

With situps, I also got in 90-95 before time was up, but I did no actual weight training for them. At my own pace I could do upwards of 550+ consecutively, using the resting position for a max of 10 seconds occasionally. I liked anything that would get my upper back (and lower if possible) body off of the ground, such as sit ups, crunches, cross crunches, flutter kicks, leg lifts, etc, and something I know as hibberty jibberties. I don't know if that is the correct nomenclature for the exercise. Starting position is the same as the flutter kick, but with hands floating out to your sides and not under your butt. 3 counts. 1st count: Do a crunch while lifting your left knee to your chest, return to starting position. 2nd count: Same thing with right knee. 3rd count: Both knees towards chest.

And as TR said, always do them in the correct form.

Keep in mind that this is simply what worked for me. Take it for what it's worth to you.

Last edited by SF0; 10-27-2009 at 23:10.
SF0 is offline   Reply With Quote