Thread: NAFTA Stick
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 21:36   #26
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker
 
Pandora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 272
Quote:
Don't take this personally, but we have all of the socialists we need in the U.S. right now, and do not want any more. I think you have even more entitlements per capita than we do. I would not want Canada as a part of my country without significant changes, and that would likely be a deal breaker. Firearms laws in Canada, for example, with a few exceptions, are intolerable to me.
No offense taken at all, Sir.

As much as I am oft accused of having views more liken to Americans politically, I have to admit that I must have some latent Socialist tendancies. I'm typically a hard-liner on what (little) I try to understand of world issues; I believe in an equally dirty fight on the war on terrorism, I believe WMD aside - Saddam had to go, I dislike my government's lax stance on immigration policies, and I have a deep frustration with welfare policies/abuses up here. Still, a liberal on some issues (see the abortion thread), but more often, most Canucks would toss me out due to my "non-peacekeeping" views. Diplomacy be damned!


That said, the fact that I know for certainty that I have a higher percentage of disposable income at the end of the day than my parallel coworkers in any of 26 nations does reaffirm my allegiance to the Maple Leaf on a professional level. Not to imply we're worth anymore professionally up here for my industry (IT - software), but that I wish my coworkers had the same scaled pay - we all work our behinds off.

As well, the most notable of the entitlements is state-run health care. Let me preface my next argument by saying that there are exceptions to the benefits of this system, (i.e. long wait times for MRI's and new drugs, etc.), but overall, again, based on discussions with coworkers around the world, I'm relieved that lower rung employees up can get adequate medical care for their kids without shorting them on groceries. Sounds an awful lot like a liberal stance, but I prefer to view it as "care & feeding of coworkers I respect greatly."

The Gun Registry... I hope the other ladies of PS will forgive me for stating this so bluntly, but that just a C.F. if I ever saw one. You have my entire agreement on this issue, Sir. No contest. Abysmal failure on all levels. (insert your favorite image here of the Darwin award trophies).

Now then, to the important stuff - YOU WILL NOT CHANGE OUR BREWING STANDARDS. Our under-paid, under-equippped, under-acknowledged lil' ole military will pelt you into submission with timbits before that's going to happen. And I don't even drink beer often. But when I do, it better have bite, eh?

Quote:
I look at it this way. No matter how nice my next door neighbor seems to be, I am not sure that I would want him and his crew to move in with me and my family.
Reasonable, but I sure hope y'all take me in when they kick me out because I like Bush.

Edit to add: I think Moore is an idiot, Kerry scares me, and I like grits. My paper money is prettier and easier to calculate rapidly on quick view of the wallet, I miss $2 dollar bills (what is this Looney business?), Whistler is amazing, but if I win the lotto I will be found in Scottsdale, AZ if they let this socialist/Conservative in.


Last edited by Pandora; 07-12-2004 at 21:52.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote