View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 12:13   #20
ccrn
Guerrilla
 
ccrn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Event Horizon...
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Genetic condition commonly affecting African race

I should have seen that.....


I would imagine that differentiation would be within the means of 18D if trained and equiped in the field, and certainly a basic clinic staffed by an MD, by slide (sickle cell erythrocyte vs stains for parasites in bloodcells).

Palliative measures could include but not be limited to:

*Bedrest w/minimul exercise to promote circulation(avoid DVT).
*Hydration either PO or Parental.
*Analgesia to include local adjuncts if possible.
*Strict I/O.
*Monitor lytes especialy Na.
*Keep pt warm, cold is contra-indicated to avoid vaso-occlusion.
*Also monitor for shock(acute sequestration crisis=probably how sibling died), infection, CVA.
*prophylactic ABX tx if possible (broad spectrum?).
*Support parents/family if time available
*Education of village/family

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited by ccrn; 06-25-2004 at 07:57.
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote