View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:38   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Posts: 11,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post

If you haven't done so the first 3 things I would do would be to replace the spark plug, air filter, and internal fuel filter. The spark plug and air filter are very simple and should be self explanatory, to change the fuel filter you'll need a piece of wire that you can bend a hook in, put it into the tank and pull the filter out. That will solve probably 2/3s of most people’s problems, if that doesn't work I'd check to make sure you're getting spark. Easiest way to do this if you don't know is to take the plug out, put a screw driver in the plug socket and touch it to the block, (don't put the screw driver into the spark plug hole, could do bad things, and don't hold onto the screw driver when you pull the rope or you'll get a little shock) pull the rope and see if you have a spark (if you’re a gear head they make a little tool for this but I have no idea what they cost now probably more than getting the saw serviced), if you get a spark, then the most likely issue will be the carb. A carb rebuild kit is very easy to install, I would start by just installing the 2 rubber gaskets (pay attention when you take them out and put the new ones in the same way as the old ones came out, that will likely get you back up and running, if not there is a needle with a small/thick o-ring type gasket in the kit that goes below the needle, that will need to be swapped out, the easiest way to get it out is to use compressed air, if you need/desire to go that far I can pull a carb and take some pictures of where to put the air nozzle to get that little gasket to pop out. If/when you get that out you need to make sure the new gaskets flat side is facing out with the round side with the small seam faces away from the needle. Now if you put the do all of the above and it’s still not running it’s possible you have bigger issues, next most common are the magneto going bad but you’ll know that when you do the spark test, after that you’re probably talking major internal damage, though if you mix your gas properly that’s probably not the case.


Let me know if you need/want the pictures.

When I was working at Ace we did what we called check ups which cost about 50 bucks, which was basically just putting a new air/fuel filter, new plug, fresh gas in and sharpening the chain, usually took less than an hour and got more than 2/3s of saws back up and running.

I chk'd,, it's a Poulan 260,, I knew it was yellow/black,, whoops..

I did 1 & 2 the day of.. I also put fresh gas in and liberally goosed it with either carb spray.

My thoughts at the time, was I need a carb re-build.. I purchased it from a guy that had it 4-5 yrs,, he cut one 3" maple and put it the cellar. I know it was maple, because the case and chain guide was packed full,, he never cleaned it. Otherwise it looked brand new. I've had it 10 yrs or better.. My concern was the carb re-build parts were long gone..

Anyone know if there are sources for Poulan 260 parts??

I will take a look at the internal filter..

I have Federal Jury Duty the next 2 weeks,, starts Monday,, I may get back to you after..

Thanks for the helpful note..
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 02-01-2009 at 13:12.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote