Thread: Rektal infusion
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 22:33   #17
ccrn
Guerrilla
 
ccrn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Event Horizon...
Posts: 383
QUOTE]Originally posted by DoctorDoom
.... it would appear from your first post[/QUOTE]

I was referirng to not only a binder ie lactulose but tap H2o enema etc also. I would challenge anyone to retain a liter of saline or any other type of water rectaly for more than a few moments or minutes let alone enough fliud for resuscitation ie vascular collapse assuming a pt had enough rectal tone to do so.

I'd also like to add that rectal route is not exactly expediant or conveniant in emergent situations ie TNCC.

Considering someone prehospital will not get the many units of PRBC, colloids/hespan etc ,alot more than one liter will be given...

Stand back I say....

Based on my experience in the ICU and ER, and stories Ive heard of in the OR I think it would not work.

If 91W carries IV equipment into the field with leg units I cannot imagine how a highspeed unit, if even a foreign one , would not have the capability if not more. Of course there is the scenario of mass casualty etc but triage sorts that out however unfortunate.

I cant imagine either a terminal DNR/DNI pt accepting rectal fluids if not recieving other routes. Of course DNR does not mean "Do Not Treat" and we will often still treat them aggressively for better or worse. Ive been in this situation many times, (and hospice and palliative) in a few different regions of the country and have never even seen or heard of it mentioned let alone done. More sound to advance NGT or feeding tube instead-

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote