|
Sir Reaper, Many thanks for the pics of the knives. I may have to buy a print from you! For those who are wondering, this is the knife I've made for Col. Rex Applegate since 1984. A portion of the sale from each knife goes to the late Col. Applegates estate. The customs are hand made by me here in my shop. The knife pictured is among the very first made from CPM S30V steel. This is the steel Chris Reeve and I pioneered in the Yarborough knife. This was the first ever commercial use of that steel, but we'd both been working with it for a year before it was on the market. It was Chris who suggested the alloy to Crucible, friend or not I "don't use nothin" unless it's the best steel available. This stuff has some remarkable traits and it exceeds all expectations. All the blade shaping and grinding are done freehand by me on belt grinders I built myself (not just another pretty boy knifemaker...). This knife was designed by both Applegate and Fairbairn during WW Two because of the documented problems with the Fairbairn Sykes Dagger. The knife was never produced because the war ended. Col. Applegate brought the drawings out about 1980 and here we are.
|