Quote:
Originally Posted by linedoc
As for the initial portion of this scenario my course of action medically would be:
1. Explain to the soldier why I am taking him out of the fight.
2. C-collar, at this point I don't know where the bullet/fragment is. Try to minimize potential for further injury.
3. Secure airway with a NPA through wound, and verify air exchange.
4. Get IV access, saline lock.
Hold PN meds as to not obscure mental status. Monitor vitals, mental status and obtain a good NV exam. Reasses airway and reassure PT.
Hold tight for dustoff.
|
Would you use anything to guarantee a good seal around the NPA you've stuck in the wound...vasaline impregnated guaze, etc, or simply leave it as it is. I only ask because at SOFMS-P I was taught when dealing with a chest tube to use the impregnated guaze to ensure no air could infiltrate, either in or out around the tube. ??? I'm concerned about the subq being a problem and would like to know more, as I stated previously that I haven't had to deal with any neck wounds of this nature before.
Thanks!
Cheers.
Mick
__________________
Woe be unto the day when the things of wonder and light become thought of as profane, and things profane are viewed as light and wondrous.
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
|