View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25   #7
shr7
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 50
swpa19-
The reason I ask about the HCTZ and the triamterene is that in my 6+ years in a pharmacy, I cannot recall a single time where I saw triamterene without HCTZ. I was wondering if this was an indication that I had not heard of. Also, triamterene without HCTZ can cause hyperkalemia, or a rise in your body's potassium levels. This complication can be life-threatening. However, when both diuretics are prescribed together, it is relatively safe.

I also ask about OTC and herbal medications, because I have personally seen several Raynaud's patients benefit from simple OTC counseling. The list of drugs to avoid in Raynaud's spans both the Rx (Beta-blockers, clonidine, and ergot preparations) as well as OTC (decongestants). The reasoning is to avoid any medications that can trigger or worsen vasoconstriction. I will always tell people to ask your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new OTC or herbals.

Do you know why you and your physician decided not to treat the Raynaud's? There are several poorly documented treatments with questionable efficacy. This may sound negative, but it is possible some of these treatments may help. It sounds like your disease is quite debilitating, it might benefit to talk to your doctor about using some of the less proven therapies. Through your discussion, you may find some options whose benefits far outweigh the risks.

Also, do you have a rheumatologist, or are you seeing a general practitioner?

Finally, a good medicine for any condition originating in southwest PA, Yuengling can never hurt...

Last edited by shr7; 02-10-2008 at 11:03.
shr7 is offline   Reply With Quote