Thread: Back to Legacy?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 19:57   #9
warrottjr
BANNED USER
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Now that is sad. My little girls have a compass, water pur. tabs, knife and other sundry survival items in in their hiking fanny packs along with two water bottles. And they know how to use the items. They also know how to print out a map of the area they will be hiking in.

We are working on their map reading skills this winter.
I won the land nav award at the senior Region II ROTC advanced camp, Ft Riley, 1980. I don't know what land nav you QP's get, but the resident rangers placed two decoys within 10 m of the target, and if you weren't right on the dot, you picked a decoy and got a no-go. I got 0 decoys, and am damned proud of it.

So, I agree that GPS is turning land nav into a hand held computer game, but given by definition that half the class is below average, it sure makes up for a multitude of sins.
warrottjr is offline   Reply With Quote