View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 13:20   #2
Maple Flag
Auxiliary
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada, when I have nowhere else to be.
Posts: 91
OK, it's gone 3 days without a response from those more knowledgable than I, so I'll take a WAG based on civilian BLS level training and my expectations of common battlefield trauma (in no particular order):

1. Extremity bleeding - Stop blood loss (direct pressure, elevation, pressure point, HCAs, TQ), manage volume if needed (ALS). Evacuate.

2. Airway, Head and facial injuries - C-Spine control dependant on MOI and Pt. assessment, airway managment, control external bleeding/allow drainage, assess for concussion, assess for ICP, evacuate.

3. Thermal Burns - assess airway for injury, irrigate for 15 mins max if clean water available, wrap in sterile dressings, ALS for pain and volume loss, evacuate

4. Penetrating Chest injury - spinal immobilization dependant on MOI and Pt. assessment, occlusive dressing, Pt. positioning (injured side down), ALS call (particularly for TPT, PT, HT, HPT, volume loss, etc), evacuate.

5. Concussion/shockwave injuries (primary blast injuries) - ABCDE as needed for specific injuries. Assess for concussion, ICP, and signs/sympoms of occult injury. Evacuate.

Feel free to pick the above apart. I come here to learn.
Maple Flag is offline   Reply With Quote