View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional
 
x SF med's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In transit somewhere
Posts: 4,044
Bill-
I'm an old, out of date 18D - get air in, stop blood out, finish primary; start IVs; start 2ndary; then immobilize, patch, and transport if possible.

IVs are to allow for any Meds needed, or to increase volume if needed later - ICP requires that little if no extra fluid be introduced, but bleeding, and possible abdominal injuryu with internal bleeding may require volemic stabilization - this guy's a mess - you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't. The doctor is going to appreciate the fact he's got entries already in place for his IV meds, and the entry is at TKO so the volume s/b <=10 gtt/min/IV an insignificant volume since there was bleeding noted. My Tx could be completely wrong by today's standards - head+neck+back+probable internal injuries - this guy has to get to a trauma center 30 minutes ago. All I want to do is keep the body functioning long enough for a Doctor to call the code.
__________________
In the business of war, there is no invariable stategic advantage (shih) which can be relied upon at all times.
Sun-Tzu, "The Art of Warfare"

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote