Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Medical Pearls Of Wisdom (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   DUMB question - snipers and hiccups (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2879)

Pandora 08-02-2004 20:58

DUMB question - snipers and hiccups
 
If anyone knows the ultimate cure-all for hiccups, I figure snipers might.

Forget all of the upise-down-water, and "eat spoonful of sugar" tricks... BTDT!

Will someone please share the ultimate hiccup cure - as pedestrian/civilian as this query may be, I am desperate!

NousDefionsDoc 08-02-2004 21:17

LOL - EXCELLENT QUESTION and very good reasoning!:munchin

Doc T 08-02-2004 21:36

Hiccups cure
 
had the hiccups at work one day and one of the people in my office interrupted me to ask...

have I ever had a bunny...
told her no and she said, never? I said never. She said not even as a child...I said no...she said not a white one? I said no...or a black one...again no....and she said.....

Your hiccups are gone....and they were.

this has worked on easily 90% of the people I have tried it on...including talking to myself when I get the hiccups. I must admit it only worked on the Team Sergeant the first time and then he knew what I was doing and it didn't work any longer...but it did work once when he was caught unaware.

I am definitely not certain of why it works...but i am convinced...

try it out next time someone has the hiccups...

doc t.

DunbarFC 08-02-2004 21:47

Try this

Have a friend slowly pour a glass of water into your mouth

Just keep drinking til the glass is empty and presto they are gone

I was a production assistant for a theater company and that was the stage manager's personal cure and I swear it works

The Reaper 08-02-2004 21:57

I used to have them with some frequency.

One day, I decided that I was not going to have them any more.

I might get two or three hiccups now on rare occasions, and I decide that they are over, and focus on them.

Never more than one additional one before they stop.

Mind over matter.

TR

Pandora 08-02-2004 22:02

White rabbits? And by association, Grace Slick? And the inherant fear factor? mmmm-kay... I am in.

:D

I'll give it a try. After 3 hours of this nonsense, I will take all advice I can get. Maybe I need an inquisitor with an Elmer Fudd voice?

(If I was sniper, at the moment I would not be a good sniper - HICK- and the barrel goes UP!)

Team Sergeant 08-02-2004 22:11

Re: DUMB question - snipers and hiccups
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Pandora
If anyone knows the ultimate cure-all for hiccups, I figure snipers might.


Can't say that I ever had the hiccups while I was behind the trigger.

I can say that what Doc T posted works.

TS

Dan 08-02-2004 22:15

A few years back I had the hiccups for about 3 weeks. No Doc could figure out what was wrong. One night I woke the wife up to take me to the ER...upon arrival they determined my appendix were about to burst. The hiccups stopped that night :)

My father had emailed saying that he had heard of appendix giving that problem before, but none of the Docs had heard of it nor did they believe that could be the reason. The night I woke the wife up I was 99% sure that was the problem from the pain location. My father was never a Doc or medic, but is a wise man...thus why I'm posting this in this "Wisdom" forum.

Guy 08-03-2004 06:21

I've seen...

Placing a paper or plastic bag over the mouth, and breating in/out vigorously for a few minutes work.

May have something to do with the increase CO2 in the blood.

Martin 08-03-2004 07:04

Quote:

Originally posted by Guy
I've seen...

Placing a paper or plastic bag over the mouth, and breating in/out vigorously for a few minutes work.

May have something to do with the increase CO2 in the blood.

I use to hold my breath as long as I can a few times. I don't remember how I came up with it, but your reasoning might explain why it works.

hoepoe 08-03-2004 07:17

Swallow air..open your mouth breath in, close your mouth and swallow, then foce a burp up ;-)

Also works to dislodge food that i've pigged out on and literally bitten off more than i can chew/swallow (usually a form of cow ;-))

Guranteed to work 100% (for hicups for me anyway, but then again , i alway was a little 'different' lol)

Hoepo

Sacamuelas 08-03-2004 07:24

I can be caused by a lot of different reasons- low CO2 levels being only one of them.
Here are a few treatments used:
  • Stimulation of nasopharynx - Forcible traction on the tongue, swallowing granulated sugar, gargling with water, sipping ice water, drinking from the far side of a glass, biting on a lemon, inhaling noxious agents (eg, ammonia)
  • C3-5 dermatome stimulation - Tapping or rubbing back of the neck, coolant sprays, acupuncture
  • Direct pharyngeal stimulation - Nasal or oral catheter (90% effective)
  • Direct uvular stimulation - Spoon or cotton-tip applicator
  • Removal of gastric contents - Emetics, nasogastric tube
  • Vagal stimulation (Only one technique at a time is recommended.)
    1. Iced gastric lavage
    2.Valsalva
    3.Carotid sinus massage
    4.Digital ocular globe pressure
    5.Digital rectal massage
  • Interference with normal respiratory function - Breath holding, hyperventilation, gasping (ie, fright), breathing into a paper bag (increases partial pressure of carbon dioxide), pulling knees up to chest and leaning forward, continuous positive airway pressure, rebreathing 5% carbon dioxide
  • Mental distraction - For example, ask the patient to "think of a loved one remembering you." Offer $10 if the patient can continue to hiccup immediately.
  • Behavioral conditioning (including other members of the family unit)
  • Hypnosis
  • Acupuncture
  • Phrenic nerve or diaphragmatic pacing: Incidental cure during cardioversion has been reported.
  • Phrenic nerve block surgery: Surgical interruption of the phrenic nerve has been advocated for intractable cases that are unresponsive to other treatment. This final and most drastic approach may be associated with considerable morbidity and is not universally successful. Microvascular decompression of the vagus nerve recently has been described as a successful procedure

Obviously, some of these are for higher level care due to protracted cases that last for a long time. For the "standard" brief cases...The mental distraction, rebreathing Co2 from paper bag, and holding breath seem to always work for me. :cool:

NousDefionsDoc 08-03-2004 07:33

Re: Re: DUMB question - snipers and hiccups
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Can't say that I ever had the hiccups while I was behind the trigger.

I can say that what Doc T posted works.

TS

I think its sad you never had a bun bun:munchin

That technique wouldn't work on me.:D

The Reaper 08-03-2004 07:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Sacamuelas
I can be caused by a lot of different reasons- low CO2 levels being only one of them.
Here are a few treatments used:

5.Digital rectal massage


Isn't that a bit out of your professional area of expertise?

Jeez, what is it with Docs and finger waves?

TR

NousDefionsDoc 08-03-2004 07:47

Quote:

Originally posted by The Reaper
Isn't that a bit out of your professional area of expertise?

Jeez, what is it with Docs and finger waves?

TR

Typical dentist, always looking for the answer in the wrong place. If you have to do this, hiccups are probably the least of your worries.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®