Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Medical Pearls Of Wisdom (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Scenario: Ouch! (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11261)

Roguish Lawyer 06-28-2006 10:39

Scenario: Ouch!
 
5 Attachment(s)
You open a clinic in a small fishing village, and in walks a villager with a fly lure stuck deep in his right index finger. He tried and tried to pull it out, but the barbed hook won't come out. What do you do?

Roguish Lawyer 06-28-2006 10:40

1 Attachment(s)
One more angle . . . :munchin

x SF med 06-28-2006 12:10

RL-
1. How the hell did you manage that? (Hx)
2. force the barb back through so that it is looped through the skin - barb out. (you can say ouch here)
3. use wire cutters to snip off the barb
4. remove un-barbed remainder of hook
5. scrub thouroughly
6. get a tetanus shot

or go to the Dr. and have the same thing done (2. - 6.) - with anesthesia.

Roguish Lawyer 06-28-2006 12:17

You medics know everything! :)

Jack Moroney (RIP) 06-28-2006 14:15

RL, I think you are a candidate for some multi-tasking here. Wear your hockey gloves the next time you try to do some fly-casting:D

x SF med 06-28-2006 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
You medics know everything! :)

Just because I now have an MBA doesn't mean I've forgotten everything, hmmmm, which professional fee do I charge for this one....

Not everything, but a whole bunch - I thought that was the bailiwick of JDs, "never ask a question to which you don't already know the answer."

I do believe you have now created a new sport along with the Colonel - "full contact fly fishing"

Bill Harsey 06-28-2006 16:54

If it's a really productive fly you don't want to lose, push it thru until you can flatten the barb with your fishing pliers then just rotate it back out. Better to fish barb-less than not fish at all.

JMI 06-28-2006 17:05

I am wondering how you typed with that stuck in your finger, much less post pics. :eek:

jatx 06-28-2006 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
What do you do?

Next time, try holding the rod by the other end. :D

Razor 06-29-2006 21:35

Throw back what you caught; that species is wormy, and doesn't even make good bait fish as the smell scares the other fish away. :p

x SF med 06-30-2006 21:49

RF:
re: What do you do? Possibly give up fishing....

Roguish Lawyer 07-01-2006 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_sf_med
RF:
re: What do you do? Possibly give up fishing....

And you might want to give up typing . . . ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®