![]() |
Howard, Robert L.
Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces
Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, 30 December 1968 Entered service at: Montgomery, Alabama Born: 11 July 1939, Opelika, Alabama Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Howard (then SFC.), distinguished himself while serving as platoon sergeant of an American-Vietnamese platoon which was on a mission to rescue a missing American soldier in enemy controlled territory in the Republic of Vietnam. The platoon had left its helicopter landing zone and was moving out on its mission when it was attacked by an estimated 2-company force. During the initial engagement, 1st Lt. Howard was wounded and his weapon destroyed by a grenade explosion. 1st Lt. Howard saw his platoon leader had been wounded seriously and was exposed to fire. Although unable to walk, and weaponless, 1st Lt. Howard unhesitatingly crawled through a hail of fire to retrieve his wounded leader. As 1st Lt. Howard was administering first aid and removing the officer's equipment, an enemy bullet struck 1 of the ammunition pouches on the lieutenant's belt, detonating several magazines of ammunition. 1st Lt. Howard momentarily sought cover and then realizing that he must rejoin the platoon, which had been disorganized by the enemy attack, he again began dragging the seriously wounded officer toward the platoon area. Through his outstanding example of indomitable courage and bravery, 1st Lt. Howard was able to rally the platoon into an organized defense force. With complete disregard for his safety, 1st Lt. Howard crawled from position to position, administering first aid to the wounded, giving encouragement to the defenders and directing their fire on the encircling enemy. For 3 1/2 hours 1st Lt. Howard's small force and supporting aircraft successfully repulsed enemy attacks and finally were in sufficient control to permit the landing of rescue helicopters. 1st Lt. Howard personally supervised the loading of his men and did not leave the bullet-swept landing zone until all were aboard safely. 1st Lt. Howard's gallantry in action, his complete devotion to the welfare of his men at the risk of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army. For more information and photos, visit Col. Howard's web site |
COL Howard, you are THE MAN!!
Well done, Sir. TR |
2nd what you said TR. I recently had the honor of speaking with Col. Howard and he truly is "the man".
|
Should have received the other two as well. The Man indeed.
|
Quote:
The man is harder than woodpecker lips. |
Not trying to "One Up" any one here, but I had the honor of working for the then Captain Bob Howard, CO of Recon Company, (more of a Platoon!), at Command and Control Central, Kontum, RVN.
I will say that I have never worked for anyone, before or since, that I respect as much as him !!! I will put together some of my thoughts and memories, from when I worked WITH him in RVN. Later Martin |
AM:
While you are at it, tell some Billy Waugh stories. TR |
Ah that Billy... he is also the Man!!!
Jennifer sends |
Quote:
I've met him and believe that he's one of the greatest Soldier's in US History. |
1 Attachment(s)
.
|
Quote:
|
Bob Howard was my Rater and Bill Carpenter was my Sr. Rater for my OER's when I was with SOC-K in 1986-87. I worked for him as DCSO for Special Ops for Combined Forces Army, 8th Army and UN Command. Hell of a guy! Gave me a good OER too!
|
Bob Howard would have been a general, but he had a thing about pinching some very senior officer's wives on the ass during his last tour in Korea...
God bless you sir!... those leg's wives loved every damned minute of it! De Oppresso Liber |
Every now and then I come here or go to the tribute site for a refresher. These were giants among men.
|
Me too.
Reading these sections makes me feel good. FrontSight |
"BAD BOB HOWARD" truly the MAN, had the pleasure of working for and with COl Howard it was an experience I wil never forget, enjoyed evey minute of it. He was truly a person who supported his NCOs.
|
He was the Guest Speaker at SFA CHXV's Annual Christmas Party here in San Antone. A pic from that occaission is at my "Friends..." thread in the Base Camp.
Wish I could figger out howta convert the video I took of his speech that nite to summmpm I can post here. Any idees anybody?????? Toby-so proud of my relationship with this great man!!!!!!!! |
Toby,
You know Neil Horn don't you? Why don't you email him and ask. If anyone can do it, or figure it out, Neil can. BC me if you need his email address. Jennifer sends |
i didn't exactly meet him...
Quote:
dayum, that was a long time ago...seems like yesterday...,. lksteve |
TS-
Was that honor or horror? I kinda remember it as both when I went through, Maj Howard was one bad mf when it came to rucking - and the grenade simulators in the quonsets were a way to lively up a very late night........ |
TYhe first time I met him he was issuing my gear at FOB-2 in 1968. I thought he was the baddest supply sergeant I ever saw.:D
|
Sounds like one hell of a guy.
|
Quote:
The second time I met him he had a team assembled to rescue or recover my team. He was always at the front of the line of volunteers for Bright Light Missions. |
Howard
Met alot of heros in my time. Never met Col. Howard or Billy Waugh...wished I did. Great men are gauged on what they have left behind for the rest of us "common folk". Salud sir! Here is a cold one for ya! How come I never hear about "Mad Dog". "Q".
|
|
Thanks NDD.
I didn't realize COL H went to TCU also... nice surprise, since it's my alma mater. Of course, he was the Headmaster of the MacKall School when I attended it, during my "between college classes phase". |
I think it was in 2000 when as a Phase III instructor at Camp Mackall, I was told there would be a VA rep and former SWC CMDR to talk about the VA to us. I forgot all about it since we had troops in Uwharrie at the time and it wasn't a priority. I pulled into Mackall to grab something and go but was stopped by the F co. SGM who said he had someone I needed to meet. He introduced me to Mr Howard. SGM had informed him of my medical issues and that I was someone who needed to talk to him, and so, we did. After we had talked for a bit, as this gentleman was getting into a truck to leave, he encouraged me to come to DC before I retired to see him, so he could make sure I had been taken care of upon retirement. I thanked him and told him I would.
Aftr our conversation, one of our warrents says "you don't know who that was, do you?" I think I said something like "yea, that's Mr Howard". Chief says, yes but, follow me. I followed him to his computer and there on the screen was Col. Bob Howard's MOH BIO and Photo. Needless to say I truly was, at that moment, lower than whale shit and dipped in sheep dip. I had read the bio before, along with so many others. Here was a man whom I'd revered for his exploits, as a hero of mine and I hadn't recognized him, and its perhaps better that I didn't for I'd been sure to have said something stupid like "YOU DA MAN".... Well, anyways. Bob, if you're out there, I still haven’t retired and I've even managed to rack up a couple more medical emergencies since then but, I'll always regard my conversation with you as an indicator of your unpretentious nature and genuine concern for the average joe. As well as my brush with one of our greatest American heroes. Thanks God bless you BOB, YOU DA MAN!!!!! |
CBS News report on MOH Recognition Day hi-lighting Bob Howard.
Unsung War Hero Gets Recognition http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4893409.shtml (CBS) Robert Howard was the toughest, bravest cat in the jungle, but he deserved a better war than Vietnam. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times for three separate operations behind enemy lines. But, as CBS News correspondent David Martin reports, when President Nixon finally awarded him the nation?s highest honor, the ceremony was actually delayed by anti-war protests. He was a war hero at a time when Americans didn?t believe in either the war or its heroes. He was wounded 14 times and has no business being alive. ?Here I come face-to-face with a platoon of enemy soldiers and so I?m standing with my weapon like this, and they fire directly at me and I fell backwards like this, and I didn?t get killed,? Howard explained. That was just the beginning of the fire fight for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor. It ended when, out of ammunition, he called in a 2,000-pound bomb. ?I said 'I want you to put it right on our position',? Howard said. ?It blew us and the enemy up. Next thing I know, we?re still alive.? He?s still picking shrapnel out of his body. ?I got a piece that?s coming out of my side on this side this morning,? he said. ?It bothers me.? Howard says he doesn?t think he?ll ever get it all out. America loves war heroes. There was Sgt. York in WWI, Audie Murphy in WWII. But in Vietnam, there were only scapegoats. Except there?s Robert Howard, who single-handedly captured 44 enemy soldiers and brought them back alive for questioning. ?I carried a damn enemy soldier for nine days because he was important and other people were trying to kill him,? Howard said. He did five combat tours in Vietnam and is about to pay his fifth visit to the troops in Iraq. ?I teach them how to survive on the battlefield,? he said. ?I teach them how to weigh courage and fear. You can balance that.? He can walk through the streets of Manhattan without anyone knowing who he is or what he?s done. Until today, when President Obama found out who Robert Howard is. Together, they and the 37 other Medal of Honor winners from WWII, Korea and Vietnam laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Robert Howard is an unknown hero no longer. |
Have to agree with Nous- From what I have heard, he should have had 3....
|
Colonel (then Major) Howard was the Phase I Commander when I did the Q-course back in 1982. He scared the hell out of us and his ruck runs were legendary. I'll never forget standing in formation as 0200 and have him speak to us. His speeches always ended with "Men, I want to challenge you today . . . " You could hear a collective moan coming from the formation as every man knew what was coming.
I'll never forget those 6 weeks or so at Camp Mackall. |
yep....startled me so bad I almost dropped the 60. As intimidating as he seemed....you could talk with him. It was truly an honor to just be around him.
|
Re: Col Howard
Yes, I recall him. All the SOG FOB's had their legends. Word traveled fast about the truly outstanding men from each FOB. I saw Bob, Zab , and Dix in 69-early 70 at Bragg after I got out of Womack in late July. The last time I saw Bob was at Benning in 72-73 when I was in the IOAC. Bob was assigned to the airborne school. He was a CPT then. Bob always stood out as someone you wanted with you.
|
I’ll never forget his in brief; all of us young kids, sitting in the JFK Auditorium.
“I’m that Baddest MFing Airborne, Ranger, Green Beret any of you will ever meet, I could jump down there and kill half of you…… the other half of you will kill yourselves trying to get away from me. Welcome to Special Forces Training….. Now get on the Fing buss” He also gave me a reality check on pain during one of the "Midnight Rucks" you never forget the lessons that real hero's teach. |
Hey folks, he's passed on to the next life. He will be buried in Arlington but no daye as of yet. It would probably be a good thing if some of us were to attend the funeral.
|
Rest in Peace Sir.
|
Exceptional soldier and leader
Rest in Peace, Sir...
and I'm still trying to figure out how you could pick us out by name when we were huffing and puffing... trying to keep up with you on the ruck marches at Phase I... It was truly an honor to have met and known you... you were one of the inspirations that kept me going. |
Arlington National Cemetery Website
Arlington National Cemetery Website:
December 23, 2009) - Retired Army Colonel Robert L. Howard, 70, who died Wednesday in Waco, Texas, was a Medal of Honor recipient who at the time of his death was believed to be the most-decorated living American soldier. Howard will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Services were pending Wednesday through Oak Crest Funeral Home in Waco. Texas Governor Rick Perry issued a statement late Wednesday afternoon in which he said Howard “was the bravest soldier I ever met.” “His unshakeable commitment to freedom, displayed in countless episodes of battlefield gallantry, lives on in the actions of our military men and women who continue to serve in hostile conditions overseas,” he said. Howard, who grew up in Opelika, Alabama, enlisted in the Army in 1956 at the age of 17 and retired as a full Colonel in 1992. In Vietnam, he served in the U.S. Army Special Forces and spent most of his five tours in the secret Military Assistance Command, Vietnam-Studies and Observation Group, or MACV-SOG, which was an unconventional force whose members were assigned to deep-penetration reconnaissance and interdiction missions. He was nominated three times for the Medal of Honor, which he was awarded in 1971 for the rescue of a seriously wounded platoon leader who was under enemy fire. During his 54 months of combat duty in Vietnam, Howard was wounded 14 times and was awarded eight Purple Heart Medals. He leaves behind his children, Denicia Howard of Florida, Melissa Gentsch and husband, Waco Assistant Chief of Police Frank Gentsch of Waco, Rosslyn Howard of California and Robert Howard, Jr. and his wife, Tori of California. ------------------------------------------------------------- Howard entered the Army at Montgomery, Alabama and retired as Colonel. As a staff sergeant of the highly-classified Military Assistance Command, Vietnam - Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG), Howard was recommended for the Medal of Honor on three separate occasions for three individual actions during thirteen months spanning 1967-1968. The first two nominations were downgraded to the award of the Distinguished Service Cross due to the covert nature of the operations in which Howard participated. As a Sergeant First Class of the same organization, he risked his life during a rescue mission in Cambodia on December 30, 1968, while second in command of a platoon-sized Hornet force that was searching for missing American soldier Robert Scherdin, and was finally awarded the Medal of Honor. While leading a covert SOG platoon-sized mission in southeastern Laos on November 16, 1967, Sergeant First Class Howard carried out actions that led to his being recommended for his nation’s highest honor. While the main body destroyed an enemy cache, Howard’s team came upon four North Vietnamese Army soldiers, whom he shot. The team was then pinned down by heavy machine gun fire. Howard first eliminated a sniper and then charged the machine gun position, killing its occupants. When a second machine gun opened up, he crawled forward to within point-blank range and threw a hand grenade, disabling that gun. When more of the North Vietnamese took over the same gun, Howard stood in the open and fired a light anti-tank weapon, knocking it out once again. The team was then successfully extracted by helicopter. Although recommended for the Medal of Honor, Howard’s award was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross. This would be the first of three recommendations within 13 months for the Medal of Honor for Robert Howard. In mid-November Howard accompanied an FOB-2 Hatchet Platoon into Laos. After four days in the area, on November 19, 1968, the force was ambushed by Vietnamese troops, including a Soviet-built PT-76 tank. Braving intense fire, Howard crept forward and knocked out the PT-76 with an anti-tank rocket. After a medivac helicopter was shot down, Howard, already wounded, charged forward 300 yards through North Vietnamese fire to lead the two pilots and a wounded door gunner to safety. He was again wounded, this time by 14 pieces of shrapnel, but all that this seemed to do was aggravate him. He charged the Vietnamese, killed two and dragged back a third as a prisoner. North Vietnamese anti-aircraft fire halted the extraction of the platoon until the following morning, when Howard, already perforated multiple times, moved forward and silenced a 37 mm anti-aircraft gun, allowing the extraction to be completed. For the second time, Howard was recommended for the Medal of Honor, but his award was again downgraded to a Distinguished Service Cross. This series of events illustrates the difficulties faced when special operations personnel exhibited extraordinary bravery in denied areas. Recommendations for decorations always stipulated the location and circumstances of the action, and since the award of such a high decoration became public knowledge, the citation would have to be changed to place the action within territorial South Vietnam. The U.S. Congress and President were loath to create any sense of falsehood about the actions of the nation’s most highly decorated military personnel, so, in many instances, awards were downgraded to keep the recipient out of the limelight. On December 30, 1968 Howard was serving as a member of a 40-man Bright Light rescue mission into northeastern Cambodia. The unit was in search of MACSOG Private First Class Robert Scherdin, who had been separated from his recon team. Bypassing a North Vietnamese Army company, Howard was leading his men up a hill when he and Lieutenant Jim Jerson were wounded by a land mine. While administering first aid to Jerson, a bullet struck one of the wounded man’s ammunition pouches, detonating several magazines. His fingers in shreds, Howard was dragging Jerson off the hill when he was shot in the foot. The remaining 20 men were organized by Howard, who administered first aid, directed their fire, and encouraged them to resist. After three and one-half hours under attack, Howard prepared for a fight to the death. The team was saved from that fate, however, when an emergency night extraction took them off without any further casualties. As badly wounded as he was, Howard was the last man to board a helicopter. After his third recommendation in 13 months, Robert Howard was finally awarded a well-deserved Medal of Honor. Perhaps no man represented the quandary of the political and moral dilemma of the Vietnam War in the heart and mind of America better than Howard. He had become arguably the most highly decorated serviceman in American military history, yet few of his countrymen even knew who he was. Unlike Alvin York or Audie Murphy before him, Howard was not touted as a national hero by the media, he was given no ticker tape parade, and no Hollywood movie was made depicting his extraordinary exploits. Of course, none of this bothered the quiet, unassuming Howard. He remained in the Army and retired as a full Colonel, after 36 years of active service, in September 1992. It is believed by some historians that Howard is the most highly-decorated living American soldier in history. His residence was in Texas and he spent much of his free time working with veterans at the time of his death. He also took periodic trips to Iraq to visit active duty troops. -------------------------------------------------------------- The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to FIRST LIEUTENANT ROBERT L. HOWARD UNITED STATES ARMY for service as set forth in the following CITATION: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Howard (then SFC), distinguished himself while serving as platoon sergeant of an American-Vietnamese platoon which was on a mission to rescue a missing American soldier in enemy controlled territory in the Republic of Vietnam. The platoon had left its helicopter landing zone and was moving out on its mission when it was attacked by an estimated 2-company force. During the initial engagement, 1st Lt. Howard was wounded and his weapon destroyed by a grenade explosion. 1st Lt. Howard saw his platoon leader had been wounded seriously and was exposed to fire. Although unable to walk, and weaponless, 1st Lt. Howard unhesitatingly crawled through a hail of fire to retrieve his wounded leader. As 1st Lt. Howard was administering first aid and removing the officer's equipment, an enemy bullet struck 1 of the ammunition pouches on the lieutenant's belt, detonating several magazines of ammunition. 1st Lt. Howard momentarily sought cover and then realizing that he must rejoin the platoon, which had been disorganized by the enemy attack, he again began dragging the seriously wounded officer toward the platoon area. Through his outstanding example of indomitable courage and bravery, 1st Lt. Howard was able to rally the platoon into an organized defense force. With complete disregard for his safety, 1st Lt. Howard crawled from position to position, administering first aid to the wounded, giving encouragement to the defenders and directing their fire on the encircling enemy. For 3 1/2 hours 1st Lt. Howard's small force and supporting aircraft successfully repulsed enemy attacks and finally were in sufficient control to permit the landing of rescue helicopters. 1st Lt. Howard personally supervised the loading of his men and did not leave the bullet-swept landing zone until all were aboard safely. 1st Lt. Howard's gallantry in action, his complete devotion to the welfare of his men at the risk of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rlhoward.htm |
Arlington National Cemetery Website (cont)
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Sergeant First Class Robert Lewis Howard (ASN: RA-14628152), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Command and Control (Central), 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces. Sergeant First Class Howard distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions on 21 November 1967, as Special Forces Advisor to a joint American and Vietnamese reconnaissance patrol conducting a search mission near the Laotian border. His patrol discovered a huge rice and ammunition cache surrounded by an enemy bunker complex. Sergeant Howard led a small team to provide security while the remainder of the unit began to destroy the stored supplies. His team encountered four North Vietnamese Army soldiers, and Sergeant Howard killed them with a fierce burst of rifle fire. He and his men were immediately pinned down by a murderous curtain of fire which erupted from a nearby enemy machine gun position. With complete disregard for his safety, Sergeant Howard crawled toward the emplacement and killed a North Vietnamese sniper who was firing at him as he maneuvered. He then charged the bunker, eliminating its occupants with rifle fire. A second machine gun position unleashed a savage barrage. Sergeant Howard moved his troops to a covered location and directed an air strike against the fortified bunker. While assessing the bomb damage, Sergeant Howard was fired upon by North Vietnamese soldiers in the bunker who had survived the blasts. Pinned down directly outside the strongpoint with a blazing machine gun barrel only six inches above his head, he threw a hand grenade into the aperture of the emplacement, killing the gunners and temporarily silencing the weapon. He then dashed to his team's location and secured a light anti-tank weapon. As the enemy machine gun resumed firing, Sergeant Howard stood up amid a withering hail of bullets, fired his weapon, and completely demolished the position. His fearless and determined actions in close combat enabled the remainder of the patrol to destroy the enemy cache. Sergeant First Class Howard's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army. Service: Army Rank: Sergeant First Class Headquarters, U.S. Army, Vietnam, General Orders No. 2018 (May 2, 1968) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Sergeant First Class Robert Lewis Howard (ASN: RA-14628152), United States Army, for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces. Sergeant First Class Howard distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions from 12 to 20 November 1968, during an operation deep within enemy-held territory. As his platoon was being inserted into the area, it came under heavy fie from all directions. Sergeant Howard leaped from his helicopter before it touched down and began to return fire, providing protection for his men while they dismounted and moved safely off the landing zone. Seeing two enemy soldiers in a wood line, he charged their position and killed them both. When the unit was attacked by a company-size force on the night of 16 November, he went to each platoon member, encouraging them and directing their fire while completely exposing himself to the communist barrage. Two days later while Sergeant Howard was leading the point element, the platoon was ambushed by an estimated two North Vietnamese Army companies. He skillfully maneuvered his men so that the enemy was caught in a deadly crossfire and the ambush was broken. The following day, Sergeant Howard had again taken the point element when he observed an estimated battalion-size ambush. Although wounded in the initial exchange of fire, he exposed himself to the aggressors to place effective fire on them and enable his platoon to take cover. Moving from position to position, he administered first aid to the wounded and set up a landing zone so that they could be evacuated. As the first ambulance helicopter came in, it was struck by hostile machine gun fire and burst into flames. Sergeant Howard, although wounded a second time, ran one hundred and fifty meters to where the ship had crashed and rescued a trapped pilot from the blazing wreckage. Once the entire crew was free from the aircraft, he led them back to the platoon while providing covering fire. Three hours later another helicopter succeeded in landing and the casualties were evacuated, but Sergeant Howard refused to leave. The next morning, he saw three North Vietnamese soldiers maneuvering towards his element and immediately opened fire, killing them. Service: Army Rank: Sergeant First Class Headquarters, U.S. Army, Vietnam, General Orders No. 371 (February 3, 1969) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Awards and decorations Medal of Honor Distinguished Service Cross (with one oak leaf cluster) Silver Star Defense Superior Service Medal Legion of Merit (with three oak leaf clusters) Bronze Star (with three oak leaf clusters and "V" device) Purple Heart (with a silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters) Meritorious Service Medal (with two oak leaf clusters) Air Medal (with "V" Device and numeral 3. One award for heroism and two for aerial achievement) Joint Service Commendation Army Commendation Medal (with "V" device and one each silver and bronze oak leaf clusters. 4 awards for valor and 3 for achievement) Joint Service Achievement Army Achievement Good Conduct Medal, 4 Good Conduct Loops (4 awards) National Defense Service Medal Armed Forces Reserve Medal Vietnam Service Medal NCO Professional Development Ribbon with 2 device Army Overseas Ribbon Army Service Ribbon Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, w/3 Service stars (3 awards) Army Presidential Unit Citation, 1st Oak Leaf Cluster Presidential Unit Citation (United States) 2001, Studies and Observations Group Navy Unit Commendation Army Meritorious Unit Citation Foreign decorations Vietnam Campaign Medal with 60 device Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Gold Star (Corps citation) Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star (Division citation) Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star (Regiment or Brigade citation) Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal 2nd Award Vietnam Wound Medal Vietnam Civil Actions Medal 2nd Award Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Unit Citation with Palm, 1st Oak Leaf Cluster (Unit citation) Republic of Korea Order of National Security Merit (Samil Medal) Badges, qualifications and tabs Ranger Tab Special Forces Tab Combat Infantryman Badge Aircrew Badge Master Parachutist Badge Pathfinder Badge Air Assault Badge Expert Infantryman's Badge Vietnamese Ranger Badge Vietnamese Master Parachute Badge Thai Master Parachute Wings Korean Master Parachute Badge Thai Balloonist Badge French Parachutist Badge http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rlhoward.htm |
Rest in Peace Sir you will be missed but never Forgotten...
|
I hope I am not overstepping my bounds by posting this, but I came across a lengthy interview with the late Col. Howard conducted by the Pritzker Military Library back in July of 2006. Robert Howard was a personal hero of mine and I'm saddened to learn of his passing. RIP, sir.
I believe BMT posted a link to it in the Base Camp Forum but perhaps it belongs in this thread as well: Col. Howard Interview. |
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:46. |
Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®