Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Watch me stump AL! (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3098)

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 09:06

Watch me stump AL!
 
I'm going to run off this plank and dive into shark-infested waters!

AL, who and how was the American zone drawn up for the occupation of Berlin after WWII?:munchin

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 09:09

My money is on AL. :cool:

Team Sergeant 08-18-2004 11:28

Re: Watch me stump AL!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'm going to run off this plank and dive into shark-infested waters!

AL, who and how was the American zone drawn up for the occupation of Berlin after WWII?:munchin



I bet AL will not only tell you who, but where, when and what they had for lunch after the meeting.
TS

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 11:43

O ye of little faith...

Sacamuelas 08-18-2004 12:17

I like the attitude.....
 
THUNDERDOME II
"Battle of wits"

Now THAT is a GIMME.... :p

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 14:12

I didn't mean to scare him away.:munchin LOL

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 14:13

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I didn't mean to scare him away.:munchin LOL
I saw him starting a reply here for a while, then he left. I've seen it before. It means you are in for a lengthy and devastating response. You'd better start digging in, my friend. LOL

:munchin

Air.177 08-18-2004 14:15

Quote:

Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
You'd better start digging in, my friend. LOL

:munchin

Remember, It's not just a hole, It's a defensive position. LOL

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 14:19

Two sentences, that's all I need. The name, who he was and how he did it. Of course, I'm going by my source, so who knows. LOL

Sacamuelas 08-18-2004 14:40

1 Attachment(s)
NDD.... you do know you are about to be.....

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 14:43

What's the matter with you? DAMN!

DunbarFC 08-18-2004 14:46

I am so glad you are not my dentist




;)

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 14:53

Quote:

Originally posted by DunbarFC
I am so glad you are not my dentist




;)

OMG, ROTFLMMFAO! ;)

Sdiver 08-18-2004 14:56

:eek:

OMG....Please tell me that you don't have that pic in your office with a caption underneath that says...."I'll get that pesky Molar out !!!"

Guy 08-18-2004 15:00

LMMFAO...
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Sacamuelas
NDD.... you do know you are about to be.....
Sir:

When Jimbo or AL come out of the box...your internet connection better be FAST!

I've looked up words or phrases I have...no use for.:D

Airbornelawyer 08-18-2004 15:20

Don't you people have anything better to do? I am jumping in and out of meetings today with pro bono clients, poor women from Brooklyn looking for help in realizing their small business dreams to escape a life of hopelessness.

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 15:22

Quote:

Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Don't you people have anything better to do? I am jumping in and out of meetings today with pro bono clients, poor women from Brooklyn looking for help in realizing their small business dreams to escape a life of hopelessness.
Gotcha!:lifter

Air.177 08-18-2004 15:23

Quote:

Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Don't you people have anything better to do?
No, Not really.

Sacamuelas 08-18-2004 15:28

Yeah, but I prefer this. :D

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 15:33

Quote:

Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Don't you people have anything better to do? I am jumping in and out of meetings today with pro bono clients, poor women from Brooklyn looking for help in realizing their small business dreams to escape a life of hopelessness.
:rolleyes: :boohoo

Bravo1-3 08-18-2004 15:48

Quote:

Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
I am jumping in and out of meetings today with pro bono clients, poor women from Brooklyn looking for help in realizing their small business dreams to escape a life of hopelessness.
Which begs the question: Were they DELIBERATE or INADVERTANT Pro Bono Clients?

I could understand short meetings with the inadvertant ones to say "Hey, give me my F'n money!" But the deliberate ones... isn't that just part of the daily schedule? :D :rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:00

Quote:

Originally posted by Bravo1-3
Which begs the question: Were they DELIBERATE or INADVERTANT Pro Bono Clients?

I could understand short meetings with the inadvertant ones to say "Hey, give me my F'n money!" But the deliberate ones... isn't that just part of the daily schedule? :D :rolleyes:

FWIW, if he's doing pro bono work today, he really is tied up. Not the sort of thing you can just schedule quickly to avoid answering a tough question.

NDD, although I admit some concern that you may win this one, I'm keeping my money on AL getting an answer by end of the day tomorrow. Shall we make this interesting?

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:03

Interesting how?

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:04

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Interesting how?
A bet.

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:05

Stakes?

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:10

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Stakes?
I want a bottle of the best tequila they make down there (or other liquor if they don't make good tequila) if I win.

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:12

No Tequila, Aguardiente

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:13

You already PMd him to see if he found the answer yet, didn't you?

Airbornelawyer 08-18-2004 16:13

Pro bono clients like this often take forever because you have to explain everything. One is a woman living in the projects trying to start a mail order company. With a typical corporate client, you might start talking about the advantages of an LLC over an S Corp. With her, you first had to explain what an LLC was, what limited liability means in concrete terms, etc. Your typical corporate client is already intimately familiar with the concept of double taxation, but here you have to start from the beginning.

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:13

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
No Tequila, Aguardiente
OK, and if you win, what do you want? No, I did not cheat.

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:17

I have no idea...LOL

Airbornelawyer 08-18-2004 16:18

But back to the original question. I am not entirely certain I follow the question, but there is no simple two-sentence answer.

First off, despite the rantings of some conspiracy theorists, it was not George Kennan who proposed the plan for postwar occupation zones that placed Berlin as an enclave inside the Soviet zone. That was a British plan, presented to the European Advisory Commission in January 1944, to the utter surprise of John G. Winant, US Ambassador to the UK and US representative on the EAC. Apparently, the UK and USSR sandbagged the USA, as the UK proposal was almost immediately accepted by the Soviets. A US counterproposal placed the line on the edge of Berlin, but left the city in the Soviet Zone. Kennan did counsel that the Soviets wouldn't accept this, since it pushed the line deep into the territory they and the British had already accepted. The counterproposal went nowhere, as did US efforts to get the northwestern zone, with the Ruhr industrial region and Germany's major ports, to be the US zone.

On June 1, 1944, a draft Protocol on occupation zones was circulated by the EAC. On July 1, the Soviets proposed amending it to divide Berlin into zones as well, based on the existing administrative districts of Greater Berlin (Greater Berlin had been divided into 20 administrative districts in 1920).

In the Protocol of September 12, 1944, the Allied representatives agreed:
Quote:

The Berlin area (by which expression is understood the territory of "Greater Berlin" as defined by the law of the 27th April 1920) will be jointly occupied with by the armed force of the U.S.S.R., U.K. and U.S.A. assigned by the respective Commanders-in-Chief. For this purpose the territory of "Greater Berlin" will be divided into the following three parts:

North-Eastern part of "Greater Berlin" (districts of Pankow, Prenzlauerberg, Mitte, Weissensee, Friedrichshain, Lichtenberg, Treptow, Kopenick) will be occupied by the forces of the U.S.S.R.:

North-Western part of "Greater Berlin" (districts of Reinickendorf, Wedding, Tiergarten, Charlottenberg, Spandau, Wilmersdorf, will be occupied by the forces of ________

Southern part of "Greater Berlin" (districts of Zehlendorf, Steglitz, Schoneberg, Kreuzberg, Tempelhof, Neukolln) will be occupied by the forces of ________

The boundaries of districts within Greater Berlin referred to in the forgoing descriptions, are those which existed after the coming into effect of the decree published on 27th March, 1938 (Amtsblatt der Reichshauptstadt Berlin No. 13 of 27th March, 1938, page 215).
The two blanks were because the US and the UK couldn't agree on who would get which sector. This and other contentious issues were soon resolved. By an Amendment dated November 14, 1944, in the first blank above, "the United Kingdom" was inserted, giving British forces control of the North-Western sector, and in the second blank, "the United States of America" was inserted, giving the US control of the Southern sector. The Sept. 12 Protocol was signed by Amb. Winant for the USA, Sir William Strang for the UK, and Ambassador Fyodor T. Gusev for the USSR. The Nov. 14 Amendment was signed by Philip E. Mosely for the USA, Strang for the UK, and Gusev for the USSR.

Subsequently, in 1945, the Protocol was further amended to allocate two districts from the UK sector as the French sector.

So, the "who" and "how" is (a) the German officials who drew up the 1920 administrative districts of Greater Berlin, (b) the Russian (Gusev or an advisor) who allocated the 20 districts among the three powers (but without designating which group of districts would be the American sector) and (c) Winant and Mosely, who accepted the Southern sector for the US. Somehow I don't think that is the answer you were looking for though.

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:18

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I have no idea...LOL
Roll of cope? Bottle of bourbon?

Bravo1-3 08-18-2004 16:20

Quote:

Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Pro bono clients like this often take forever because you have to explain everything. One is a woman living in the projects trying to start a mail order company. With a typical corporate client, you might start talking about the advantages of an LLC over an S Corp. With her, you first had to explain what an LLC was, what limited liability means in concrete terms, etc. Your typical corporate client is already intimately familiar with the concept of double taxation, but here you have to start from the beginning.
The new job has me working for an office that gets a lot of these types of clients for representation. The court also sends anyone who elects to be Pro Se to us before they can file their motions or answers.

But we have another type of Pro Bono client, which is the inadvertant type I was referring to. "Well, he said he had the money!" :D

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:20

Damn it, AL, can't you see we're trying to make a wager here? LOL

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:22

Quote:

Originally posted by Bravo1-3
But we have another type of Pro Bono client, which is the inadvertant type I was referring to. "Well, he said he had the money!" :D
Teach your employer a new word:

RETAINER!

LOL

Roguish Lawyer 08-18-2004 16:27

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
No Tequila, Aguardiente
What is the best brand? Blanco Madero? Cristal?

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:28

Here is what I have:

"With a fellow officer from the Geographic Section, he helped prepare for the European Advisory Commission a plan for the zonal administration of Berlin, and in so doing made one of his enduring contributions to German history: 'I pointed to the Grunewald and Dahlem area on the map and jokingly said, "This is where my relations had houses, this ought to be the American section."' The lines they drew have stood ever since."

NousDefionsDoc 08-18-2004 16:29

Quote:

Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
What is the best brand? Blanco Madero? Cristal?
Cristal or Nectar

pulque 08-18-2004 16:29

Quote:

Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Don't you people have anything better to do? I am jumping in and out of meetings today with pro bono clients, poor women from Brooklyn looking for help in realizing their small business dreams to escape a life of hopelessness.
Do you work for Grameen USA? Grameen's microloan recovery rate is 98.69% and 96% of their borrowers are women. :cool:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®