![]() |
Let's talk about Secretary Rumsfeld
The following comments made me think this might be a good topic.
Quote:
|
My mother always told me that if I couldn't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.
I'm sure GEN Franks, GEN Shinseki and all those other 4-stars who didn't want to be Chief of Staff have an opinion, though - and are more free to express it. |
There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on what it is, though.
|
I like him. But what do I know?
|
I like him too. Shinseki gave the legs a beret, I don't care what he thinks. General Schoomaker and General Boykin are willing to work for him, that's enough for me.
|
Quote:
:munchin |
Quote:
LTG Boykin could have retired easily from his previous job, had he not wanted to work for him. Do not assume that they could not have been very successful upon retirement from the military. TR |
Quote:
|
Quote:
Basically, if you have served honorably as a General, particularly if you have commanded at the four star level, what do you have to lose by speaking straight, telling the truth, and taking care of the troops? Frankly, I think the two officers you mentioned are of like minds. Probably explains why I will never reach that rank. :D TR |
Quote:
Sounds like the military is not that different from other organizations in that respect. I prefer your suggested course, personally. |
Quote:
Jack Moroney-need to stop drinking coffee earlier:D |
Quote:
The only reason to do that is to serve, help your nation, your Army, and your brother warriors. Duty, Honor, Country. Not just words, Counsel, get it? TR |
I like Rumsfeld.
1. He had enough faith in Special Ops to let the Afghanistan plan be executed despite the objections of the conventional Army. 2. He brought General Schoomaker out of retirement. 3. He got the Air Force to switch mission priorities so that Close Air Support is now their number one priority. 4. He is ramrodding the reorganization of our military in order to create more flexible organizations with a better tooth to tail ratio. Something that I think was long overdue. 5. He is actually taking on the conventional cold war mentalities head on. 6. He is paying attention to realities that have existed for a long-time, but which no one has been willing to admit (like the fact that if North Korea comes south, the only way we can defend South Korea is with nukes). |
Quote:
Is the answer different below the 4-star level? In your experience, are all officers motivated strictly by "duty, honor, country," and not by ego? That would surprise me a great deal. |
Quote:
Jack Moroney |
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03. |
Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®