Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons Discussion Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I'm going to stir the fire with my stick (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321)

FROST18E 10-23-2005 14:09

I'm a pistol snob so I'm going to say a Colt Series 70, full house job. I should be getting mine back in december from my smith. heinie sights, kart barrell, yost bonitz ignition set, greider trigger, Ed Brown match bushing and slide stop, Wilson Combat extractor and ejector , S&A magwell. flattened and serrated slide top 35 LPI, high cut and checker front strap 20 LPI, serrate rear of slide 50 LPI. :D

mike_m 10-24-2005 10:31

P14-45 Limited, I'd change the front sight to a .090, add an aftec extractor, get the trigger worked to around 2lbs and throw in some Wolff plus power mag springs (I also might get it refinished to keep it from rusting).

Team Sergeant 10-24-2005 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROST18E
I'm a pistol snob so I'm going to say a Colt Series 70, full house job. I should be getting mine back in december from my smith. heinie sights, kart barrell, yost bonitz ignition set, greider trigger, Ed Brown match bushing and slide stop, Wilson Combat extractor and ejector , S&A magwell. flattened and serrated slide top 35 LPI, high cut and checker front strap 20 LPI, serrate rear of slide 50 LPI. :D


Frost,

Let me know when you return the 1911 clone for "another" overhaul......;)

Get yourself an H&K full size USP and break your 1911 addiction.:cool:


TS
I'm going shooting tomorrow morning with some Phoenix LEO's, you're welcome to come along!

FROST18E 10-24-2005 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Frost,

Let me know when you return the 1911 clone for "another" overhaul......;)

Get yourself an H&K full size USP and break your 1911 addiction.:cool:


TS
I'm going shooting tomorrow morning with some Phoenix LEO's, you're welcome to come along!


NEVER!!!!!:lifter

I just picked up a series 80 on Saturday and will be doing the mods on it myself. it's my learning gun. The smith doing my full house is a friend of mine and is going to teach me how to do the trigger jobs, reliability jobs, etc.

Say, isn't the HK made of plastic?:D

thanks for the invite, this week is bad though. I have a crime scene supplement to do for my detective cert class. its due wed. and I'm only about half done. why anyone would want to be a "dick" is beyond me.....

jatx 10-24-2005 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROST18E
NEVER!!!!!:

Say, isn't the HK made of plastic?:D


TS seems to like you, but I'm still going to duck and cover...:)

eva05 10-24-2005 12:03

Fn Five Seven
 
For what it's worth,

I really like my Glock 19 and my FN Five-Seven. Glock is the first pistol I ever shot, so I'm very comfortable with it.

But recently I've come to favor the Five Seven. I purchased it about 3 months ago after trying it against a USP 45 and a Sig 226. The FN felt lighter in my hand and I was able to hit targets with it faster, repeatedly with smaller groupings. Thing has almost no recoil, though the sights needed some tuning out of the box :(

Then again I've never had to fire a shot in anger in my life. All my experience is with range dummies and paper targets.

j

Team Sergeant 10-24-2005 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROST18E
Say, isn't the HK made of plastic?:D

Yes,"new millennium" materials and shoots bullet holes through bullet holes, "off the shelf".

I've been down the road you are now taking, after you have spent 5 times what the gun originally cost you will come over to the dark side......:p


TS

Bless you for keeping 10,000 gunsmiths in business!

BTW do you get a tax break when purchasing a 1911 because it's now considered an "antique"?:rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer 10-24-2005 13:56

Quote:

Team Sergeant,

They are just jealous of our oh so fine West German handguns.


:lifter
What the hell did you do to yours?

RL
HK Enthusiast

longrange1947 10-24-2005 15:01

Hey - Didn't one of the State Police Troops call that the leg shooter due to the ADs in the leg over that little squeezey cocky thingy bobie? :p

Just a rumor I witnessed. :munchin

The Reaper 10-24-2005 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva05
For what it's worth,
But recently I've come to favor the Five Seven. I purchased it about 3 months ago after trying it against a USP 45 and a Sig 226. The FN felt lighter in my hand and I was able to hit targets with it faster, repeatedly with smaller groupings. Thing has almost no recoil, though the sights needed some tuning out of the box :(

Then again I've never had to fire a shot in anger in my life. All my experience is with range dummies and paper targets.

j

Why not just carry a .22 Magnum?

TR

The Reaper 10-24-2005 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_m
P14-45 Limited, I'd change the front sight to a .090, add an aftec extractor, get the trigger worked to around 2lbs and throw in some Wolff plus power mag springs (I also might get it refinished to keep it from rusting).

Let me know how that runs with a 2 pound trigger.:rolleyes:

I hope that you never have to shoot anyone with it.

TR

freds4 10-24-2005 23:50

No time to read the entire thread but....
Sig/Sauer P-220, .45 caliber
Also agree with TS's point of view. Why pour money into an antique only to make it as good as something that shoots just as well off the shelf?
I also hear great things about the USP.

eva05 10-25-2005 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Why not just carry a .22 Magnum?

I don't like revolvers :) But I've also never tried one.

I had read a little about the Five-Seven in prior to going to the range and making my purchase. It seemed like an interesting idea. Pistol that fires a SMG round. Supposedly favored by the Secret Service. 20 round magazine (though since I live in NJ I only have the 10 round mags).

I was interested but after I fired one it felt so sweet...perhaps I was seduced ;-)

j

The Reaper 10-25-2005 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva05
I don't like revolvers :) But I've also never tried one.

I had read a little about the Five-Seven in prior to going to the range and making my purchase. It seemed like an interesting idea. Pistol that fires a SMG round. Supposedly favored by the Secret Service. 20 round magazine (though since I live in NJ I only have the 10 round mags).

I was interested but after I fired one it felt so sweet...perhaps I was seduced ;-

j

The point is, low recoil in a light gun = low power.

You are carrying a gun with almost no stopping power. The round has very little terminal effect. You will be making small .22 caliber holes in the target with a short, FMJ projo with little propensity to create damage when it yaws. And due to the light projo weight, it bleeds off velocity very rapidly. Ergo, it is not a very effective round.

An SMG fires a pistol cartridge by definition.

The only Secret Service use of the 5.7 may be in a P-90.

I have a S&W 41 that is sweet as well, but I wouldn't bring it to a gun fight if I had any other options.

eva05 10-25-2005 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper
The round has very little terminal effect. I have a S&W 41 that is sweet as well, but I wouldn't bring it to a gun fight if I had any other options.

Understood. That's why I keep my Glock 19 right next to it :)

I had polled the users here a little while back and received an overwhelming endorsement for the USP. I see in this thread many of the users are still a big fan of it. That will probably be the next pistol I purchase.

j


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®