Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons Discussion Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I'm going to stir the fire with my stick (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321)

SFRADIOMAN 07-28-2005 07:51

My favorite handgun is the one I have in my hand when I need it most and it does not misfire or stove pipe jam. As it has been said, shot placement is very important and up close the .22 will do the job.

I carry the Glock .40 most of the time and when I feel the need for sure one-shot stops, I carry my Glock 10mm with the full power loads. 10mm is just a bit bulky for everyday CW carry.

Two inexpensive handguns for fun: Rock Island .45 (made in Philippines) for $300 and the Bersa .40 for about the same. Both have functioned flawlessly out of the box and are reasonably accurate.

Still like my revolvers, too. Like i said, my favorite is the one I have in my hand at the time.

Detcord 07-29-2005 04:02

I love Glock 21's for full-sized carry.

Tubbs 07-29-2005 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFRADIOMAN
My favorite handgun is the one I have in my hand when I need it most and it does not misfire or stove pipe jam. As it has been said, shot placement is very important and up close the .22 will do the job.

Here here...
Although I think that I'd rather have a big stick than anything chambered in .25acp (6.35mm Browning).

fusion94 08-04-2005 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc

The 9mm is a .45 set to stun.

Best quote ever. Thank You Doc

I've loved all my Sig's for the most part as well as my 1911 clones of various makes.

kgoerz 09-10-2005 18:42

Flame-Thrower

El Cid 09-12-2005 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Favorite handgun - make, model and caliber.

Para-Ordnance P14-45, in 45ACP of course. :)

david_reeves 09-29-2005 00:56

Glock 20
 
Glock 20 with Corbon's or Winchester Silvertips...

10MM, I shoot better with my G20 than I do with any other pistol yet.
So, being able to hit my target, and, using a pretty nasty caliber/loading is my solution to things that I can't go after with my AR or HK91....


Dave

Sten 09-29-2005 06:58

HK P9s in .45

The mag release is a little cranky but nothing a little practice can't overcome.

miller0331 09-29-2005 09:54

Be wary of the man who only owns one gun...
 
I agree with SFRadioman, the one in your hand is the best one...

My grandfather always told me to be wary of the man who only owns one gun because it probably is a natural extension of that individual and he'll know it as well as he knows his own body....

I'm quite fond of the Browning HP as it points well, accurate, and I have never had a malfunction with mine (and it's stock!). I have owned many different handguns and always keep coming back to the BHP. But then again, I have a tricked out Kimber 1911 that comes in a close second.

My 2 cents worth of gunstore philosophy...

longtab 09-29-2005 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller0331
My grandfather always told me to be wary of the man who only owns one gun...

We may have had the same grandfather.

Kimber CDP. My 2¢.

Dog Off Leash 10-16-2005 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Econ
I guess that the generation of the Beretta will probably say they love the Berretta design -- probably not the 9mm cartridge. They are used to shooting the Beretta just like we got used to shooting the 1911.

Gene

Gene

I am of the Beretta generation - and I utterly hate that piece of junk.

If it *must* be 9mil, then give me a Sig 226.

Otherwise, I'll gladly take a well-used full-size 1911, good mags, good ammo, and a piece of skateboard tape for the front strap.

Michelle 10-17-2005 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Off Leash
Gene

I am of the Beretta generation - and I utterly hate that piece of junk.

If it *must* be 9mil, then give me a Sig 226.

Otherwise, I'll gladly take a well-used full-size 1911, good mags, good ammo, and a piece of skateboard tape for the front strap.

DOL,

How does the P226 compare to the 225? I have the 225 in 9mm and love it (even better than the 239)... I haven't handled a 226 yet though.

Thank you in advance,

m1

Razor 10-17-2005 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle
I have the 225 in 9mm and love it (even better than the 239)...

Hey! What about the trigger issues? :munchin ;)

Michelle 10-17-2005 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor
Hey! What about the trigger issues? :munchin ;)

Sir Razor, the P239 had worse trigger issues... the pounds in DA, etc.

Mr. Yost did a lot of work on her... installed a short trigger, lightened the pull, etc. It's much better now.

The P225 actually has a better trigger for me out of factory. Even though it's a little more of a reach, the action is smoother and it's lighter. I ordered a short trigger for that one last week too though, and when time permits, it will go to the spa. Overall though, I like the feel of the 225 better, both grip and otherwise. Interesting that is was made back when they were still being produced in Germany. The 239 was made here in the U.S.

I would be curious to see if DOL (or anyone for that matter) has an opinion on the 226 versus the 225. (Although the last thing I need right now is to find myself another pistol to want). lol. :cool:

m1

Razor 10-17-2005 15:58

IIRC, the P225 was the 'daddy' of the P226. It was being used by European police and some military units in the 80s. When the US Army put out its requirements for a new standard issue pistol, it stipulated that the weapon have a 15rd capacity (hence a double stack magazine) and a western-style mag release button. Thus, SIG built the P226 to be a larger, wider P225 that could carry the requisite number of rounds, and had a mag release button near the trigger as opposed to a European release near the magwell. Having a longer slide, and hence a longer sight radius, might make it a bit easier to aim accurately at longer distances, but as they're both handguns, that's a relative comparison. The longer barrel and slide also add a little more weight towards the muzzle, which can lessen muzzle flip by a fraction, but in 9mm its pretty much moot.

Because the P225 is shorter and thinner than a P226, its a little easier to carry concealed. However, a P228/229 is dimensionally similar to the P225 (the P225 is a fraction of an inch slimmer), and provides you with increased magazine capacity (both in standard capacity mags, and the ability to use P226 mags), and in the P229 the ability to carry a larger or hotter round (.40/.357 SIG). When in doubt, buy a Powerball ticket and buy one of each when you win!

Edited to add: I was reminded to mention that P225s built for export to the US featured a western-style mag release, while those kept in Europe retained their butt-centric (go figure, huh) button design.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:05.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®