Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Above and Beyond (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Howard, Robert L. (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313)

GrumpyMedic 08-06-2011 23:06

Touchet Dusty. Message received.

Buffalobob 08-10-2011 10:47

Quote:

how is it possible that we have so many whiny men in SF, or society for that matter? I realize that this is a different era and a different generation but I have men who complain about the most inconsiquential stuff, incessently
Things haven't changed. You just weren't there to know the whiners first hand. We honor and remember those who rose above, not those who stood in the back and bitched.

THE_Onus 10-20-2011 10:01

I'm at the USMA prep school in Alabama right now and we have the Alabama Military Hall of Honor located here on campus. COL Howard has a plaque in there and it turns out that he was my CO's great uncle. My jaw dropped when I figured both of those things out. Just something a little something I felt like sharing.

Team Sergeant 10-20-2011 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Onus (Post 420113)
I'm at the USMA prep school in Alabama right now and we have the Alabama Military Hall of Honor located here on campus. COL Howard has a plaque in there and it turns out that he was my CO's great uncle. My jaw dropped when I figured both of those things out. Just something a little something I felt like sharing.

I can tell you that COL Howard "shared" with many of us on this website! And most of what the Colonel Howard shared with us was "pain"........;)

Richard 10-20-2011 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 420189)
I can tell you that COL Howard "shared" with many of us on this website! And most of what the Colonel Howard shared with us was "pain"...

...and aggressiveness of spirit... ;)

Dusty 10-20-2011 15:12

The man could thin a herd most ricky-tick.

greenberetTFS 10-24-2011 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 352590)
For anyone who wants to know a bit about Bob Howard, leadership, and to watch and hear him tell his own story, here's a link to a program worth viewing.

Recon: Courage under Fire

http://player.theplatform.com/ps/pla...4yLZspt4Z5mpgc

Richard :munchin

Outstanding post.........:lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

frostfire 10-29-2011 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 394910)
Howard did not know the word, “hopeless.” Many years later he explained his mindset during the Medal of Honor operation: “I had one choice: to lay and wait, or keep fighting for my men. If I waited, I gambled that things would get better while I did nothing. If I kept fighting, no matter how painful, I could stack the odds that recovery for my men and a safe exodus were achievable.”

If CPL Desmond T. Doss is the embodiment of undying faith, COL Howard is one for indomitable spirit. From time to time, I'd walk to the All American Medal of Honor hall, look at the profile of these legends and reflect. Always came out with renewed resolve...

Thanks for the inspirational posts, Richard

stg 10-31-2011 21:54

I'd like to echo those thanks.

COL Howard was my mentor's mentor. My gratitude to my mentor (and, indirectly, COL Howard) can never be fully expressed.

hharke 12-22-2011 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lksteve (Post 61395)
but he was the chief of either tower or ground branch when i went through jump school....

dayum, that was a long time ago...seems like yesterday...,.

lksteve

If that was in late 72", He was Chief of the Tower committee.

Ran across him again in 74 at B Co 75th at Ft Lewis, Ranger School in 76 and worked for him in PH1 and 3 in 81-83,

He was truely amazing and harder than chicken lips.

thesushi1413 02-07-2012 11:36

I was assigned to CCC a few months after this action took place. (May, 1969) When I arrived, Col. (then SFC) Bob Howard was the Recon Company First Sergeant. My first impression of this man was that he was someone you always paid attention to whenever he spoke. He had a presence that made him stand out in any room, no matter how large. I was an inexperienced new guy in an organization of exceptionally professional, and ,sometimes, legendary soldiers. The SOA/SOG mission demanded a constant and elevated attention to detail and a willingness to expose oneself to additional dangers when it came to planning and execution of missions, a fact that made my head spin and my heart beat ferociously in my chest as First Sergeant Howard explained the scope of the unit's mission and my role in it at my initial in-briefing. He pulled no punches when he described what I'd be doing and where I'd be doing it. He definitely made an impression me, one that I've never forgotten. He expected much of us and I think we delivered as a unit. He was Bob Howard - how could you ever think of disappointing him?! If anyone has read this, please know that I couldn't resist commenting when I saw the post containing his MOH Citation. I'm proud to say that I served with the man, no matter how briefly, and that I will never forget him

Jay Holland
RT South Caroline
RT Ohio
B Co, Hatchet Force

Sarski 02-09-2012 23:20

Right on, thesushi (I have huge a sushi addiction/habbit by the way).

Thank you for your service. I am certain that the high standards and demands held by Robert L. Howard continue through men like yourself, and thus his expectations and life continue through men like you. This is the path of warriors; and following in the footsteps of or serving along side warriors who lead the way.

Thus the path never ends and insures a continious life.

Thanks for sharing part of yours.

EDIT: Excuse me: Colonel Robert L. Howard.

mariley85 12-03-2013 15:20

My uncle was a friend of the late Col. Howard, and approved of this piece I showed him.

Rest in peace, Colonel.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Maga...ican_Hero.aspx

Dusty 12-03-2013 16:25

From that piece:
 
"The name Robert Lewis Howard belongs beside George Washington, John Paul Jones, Chesty Puller, Alvin York, and Audie Murphy, to name a few of the greatest."

Shoulda read "The name Robert Lewis Howard belongs at the top of a list which includes George Washington, John Paul Jones, Chesty Puller, Alvin York, and Audie Murphy, to name a few of the greatest."

It's always amazed me that no authorized bio's been written for Bad Bob.

Number one greatest Warrior in history...

Team Sergeant 12-03-2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 532087)
Number one greatest Warrior in history...

I dunno, Audie Murphy and Alvin York and a few others are right up there too. ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:21.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®