Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Medical (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   DNR in the Forces (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596)

Sacamuelas 02-16-2004 13:11

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I've had people come up later "Hi, remember me?"
"I've never met you, go away."
"But, I named my kid after you!"
"I don't know you."
"Shrapnel wound left forearm, Honduras, '88."
"Oh yeah, how'd that work out for you?"
I'm much nicer in a clinical setting.
LOL

UHHH... who is being Hollywood in this thread? LOL ;)

NousDefionsDoc 02-16-2004 13:15

Where's Holleywood?:D

NousDefionsDoc 02-16-2004 13:17

Are you picking on me today?

Sacamuelas 02-16-2004 13:19

Decided to edit to maintain professionalism. Will send my humor via PM.

Doc T 02-16-2004 19:43

in my profession living wills are a blessing. Not all living wills deal with "if you have no chance of survival"...lots deal with scenerios instead and are much more "user friendly" for hte physician because it is rare that we know you have NO chance of survival.

multiple scenerios like
~if you were quadraplegic
~if you were in a vegetative state
~if you would not be able to live independently

and talk about
~withdrawal of ventilator assistance
~withdrawal of all nutrition and IV assistance
~withdrawal of all support

its an awful thing to discuss with a 50 year olds family what they think they're loved one would want us to do never the less a 18 year old's...

I abide by living wills...lots of physician's do not and will do what they think is best regardless of the patient's wishes once they are unable to consent or refuse...its the nature of trying to do everything you can. Just be sure to talk to your spouse, next in line to make decisions because a living will or DNR will mean nothing if your proxy says... no...he signed that but had changed his mind since he wrote it....then we are forced to do what the proxy tells us the patient would have wanted.

and fyi...DNR means just that ...do not resuscitate...meaning NO CPR in case of arrest...at least for most hospitals that is what it means... it does not imply withdrawal of support or failure to treat at all.

doc t.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:34.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®